Sunday 4 December 2011

Week 2 - Friedrichshafen = The Zeppelin Museum

I make an effort this week and get in touch with my friends to arrange to meet them.  It is nice to still have good friends here - some I know since my childhood days, some since highschool and some since my apprenticeship days.... makes me feel old....

Monday, 28 November is Rima's birthday - a big 'x0'!!! I call her in Dubai to congratulate...

I have another lazy week - it's cold, rainy - some sunny days... it's nice and relaxing!  I try and go for a walk every day, we go the local farmer to buy some fresh produce. We kids used to go to the same farmer when we were little to buy fresh milk.  They used to have milk cows in those days and we were able to watch the cows being milked.  We got very fresh and warm milk then.... nice childhood memories!

My mom...

On clear days one can see the Swiss Alps on the other side of the lake! Beautiful...


 We had some beautiful sunsets...
On Friday I meet up with friends - Ulrike and Albin and their son Adrian.  (Albin was the one I met up with in Aiken, USA)... Ulrike and I did our apprenticeship together....
We had a nice evening together and Adrian played us a Xmas song, he is very talented!



Saturday morning I go off to the Zeppelin Museum.  Everytime I visit my parents I plan to visit the museum - I am talking years... finally this year I make it, but only because they have an open day with free entrance (I know cheapscate...).  It is very interesting at the museum, I learn a lot about the history of the Zeppelin and its many uses.

They started off as airmail delivery services - then began the passenger voyages across to USA and India and Japan... The airships were used during worldwar I, but not very successful.  Today, the Zeppelin is being re-build in Friedrichshafen and used for research and tourist flights.

We bought my dad a flight on the Zeppelin for his 70th Birthday back in 2004 - something special!
Now.....

Then....
The Zeppelin Museum in Friedrichshafen at Lake Constance (Bodensee) chronicles the history of the Zeppelin airships in the city where they were born. The museum, housed inside the former Hafenbahnhof (Harbor Train Station), opened in 1996.



The centerpiece of the museum is a reconstruction of a 33-m section of the LZ 129 Hindenburg, created by Zeppelin GmbH. Airship artifacts on display include an engine gondola of the LZ 127 Graf Zeppelin and the frontmost portion of the bow of the LZ 130 Graf Zeppelin. Items salvaged from the fire at Lakehurst are also on display.




Count Zeppelin (1838 – 1917) first became involved in airship aviation in 1874. Visionary thinking and enormous personal dedication allowed him to overcome numerous difficulties during the pioneering phase of this new mode of transport. He and his employees laid the foundations for international air transport which, sadly, he did not live to see.

The airships of Count Zeppelin were the cradle for entire branches of industry. Aeroplanes from Dornier, engines from Maybach, gearboxes from ZF. All these companies emerged out of the “technology transfer” of airship construction. Their company founders were colleagues and supporters of Count Zeppelin.

Ladder leading to the Zeppelin...

A vintage Daimler
Sunday, my dad treats my mom and me to lunch at the restaurant next door.  They have huge portions, but yummie hearty German food!  We also notice the 'upside down' xmas tress hanging off the ceiling... apparently a new trend that is also catching up in the USofA (according to Michael).


This is the first squirrel I see in Germany.... there are live ones out there somewhere... but probably hybernating already....
All in all a very nice and interesting week.

S & D

No comments:

Post a Comment