Sunday 25 December 2011

Week 2 - Oldenburg / It's Christmas time...

I woke up this morning and looked out the window....We have snow.... a tiny little bit anyway...


It's another lazy week.  Fred and Veronika are working, I am the resident cook for now... the least I can do.  I enjoy cooking and my sister has a lot of great cookbooks; so I try out different recipies - it's fun.

I enjoy my lazy mornings, have my coffee... read the papers.... do the German crossword puzzle....get ready ... I try to go for a walk everyday - when it isn't raining. The temperatures are around +8C or so, not too bad... loving the snow....



 The closest village,Wardenburg, is not too far away, and I am allowed to drive the family car.  Lazy me....  By the time I make it to the shops it's around midday.  I do the foodshopping and as I have time, I wonder round the shops to see what else is there... only to discover that the shops in Wardenburg close at lunchtime (from 1-2.30p.m. or so).  There is me complaining:  What??? are we in the country here????  Guess what my sister says: you have to be flexible!  Oh well...  Now I know....

On Thursday is the last day of the Xmas market in Oldenburg;  Fred fixed a bycicle for me and I ride along happily to my sister's workplace - the Childrens' Hospital - and pick her up after work.  The hospital doesn't feel like a hospital -it's very child friendly.




We then cycle together into town to have a last wonder around the Xmas market - at least it is not raining today; it's only cold.




 It is almost Xmas!  We complete all the Xmas food shopping - as the shops will be closed for 3 days and the boys are home... we need to plan and prepare the menues....  Veronika puts up the Xmas tree and decorates it very nicely.  It is nice to have Xmas with the family!


Jan-Hendrik lends a helping hand....
I have become industrious and started cross stitching and crocheting oven mitts colourfull ones - it's fun and relaxing.  A good thing to do in winter ...

In Germany they celebrate Christmas Eve on 24 December.  Veronika and Jan-Hendrik prepare the Xmas feast; we are having Raclette.  And of course for dessert lots of special buiscuits and cake = home baked by my sister.  We feast, relax and open the presents.... it's a nice family gathering.






On Xmas day it's my turn to cook - we have Moroccan cuisine = a yummie Tajine.  And cakes again... It's a nice day and we decide to go for a very long walk! We all need it.

Because of the amount of rain, the river Hunte has lots of water, fields are under water..... and everywhere it's muddy....fun...






MERRY XMAS EVERYONE! JINGLE BELLS.....



S & D

No comments:

Post a Comment