Wednesday 24 August 2011

An afternoon on the 'Islands'

I miss water.... I miss my beaches....I miss the ocean.... dreaming of Freshwater Beach in Sydney...

so I decided to take myself down to Toronto Islands on Lake Ontario.

The Toronto Islands are a chain of small islands and are located just offshore from the city centre.
The islands are a popular recreational destination, and are home to a small residential community

and to the Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport. File:Toronto City Center Airport.jpg

They are connected to the mainland by several ferry services.  The islands comprise a car-free community. Recreational bicyclists are accommodated on the ferries, and bicycles, quadracycles, and canoes can be rented on the islands.

It was a lovely hot summers day - what better time to take a ferry ride onto the islands.... with all the other tourists and families.  It is still school holidays here, and families and kids galore.....Lots of people on bycicles quadracycles, rollerblades, and me... walking and walking almost all over the whole island... wonderful!









I took the ferry to the main island and started my walk from there.... first I had to see the farm animals on the 'Far Enough Farm'...  there were some absolutely enormeous pigs - wow....








Aahh, finally, the lake.... a beach....I reached the outside of the islands and how beautiful... beaches, the lake. There are several swimming beaches on the islands.  I sat on the boardwalk for some time, just day dreaming in getting my vitamin D intake, however I got a bit too much of that and got sunburnt... psst... don't tell anybody - no sun protection very naughty!








I think I leave the North Pole for next time.....

I then walked along the beaches towards the island airport (amazing to have an airport so close to the city... of course, only the smaller propeller planes depart and land here - it's a small airport! surrounded by water!).. I wanted to take a different ferry back to the mainland, but hadn't realized how long the walk would be... I worked up a sweat... and got desperate for a muffin and a cup of tea...  And...hurray, just my luck, there was a little coffeeshop at the ferry docking area - Oh my goodness, I needed that cup of tea!!!








I was too exhausted to get up and take photos, I just plonked myself on a seat on the ferry and relaxed on the short ride back to the mainland. But, I caught a plane landing on the island airport.... fascinating....


What an absolutely beautiful and enjoyable sunny day out!  I am happy again, had my dose of sun and beach and water!!!

LG - Life's Good!

S&D

No comments:

Post a Comment