Friday 4 November 2011

Dubai - week 1

I had a wonderful first week in Dubai!  The weather is absolutely fabulous 34C in the shade.... the best time of year here.  There are a lot of tourists visiting, mainly from Russia and Saudi Arabia; interesting!  And everybody seems to be at the Corniche of JBR!  The rest of Dubai is fairly quiet...

Dubai seems to have stabilized again, construction is happening - slowly but surely, there are new developments, mainly residential, spreading into the desert. Aparently Sheikh Mohammed has made an appearance announcing Dubai's re-awakening....so to speak.  There is less traffic on the roads; some of the main roads have been improved - hence better traffic flow.  The metro has been expanded too. Also people seem more relaxed and less stressed.  Everyone still works hard and long hours in Dubai, but people seem to also enjoy their free time more. It's all about work/life balance - even in Dubai!

However, it is difficult to find good and well paid jobs.  As organizations are down-sizing and saving money where they can - also on salaries.  The people who are still living here and have jobs, are doing fine, as is the case everywhere in the world I guess.

I am enjoying my time in Dubai - I try and go for a walk on the beach in the mornings, went to the swimming pool once, where a bored tourist told me her life story.....; went to several shopping malls for a stroll around (am not - only little - shopping), called my friends.  Also went for a beauty session (well overdue!) with Sally, a lady I've been going to for the last 13 years.


 Gate Hotel (looks a bit like a copy of the Atlantis)....I think it belongs to Moevenpick.

 The Metro - it is remote controlled!  no driver....
 For my German readers: Tchibo is taking over Dubai.... we had 'Brands for less' for many years already in Dubai, which was also Tchibo - now we have 'Tchibo'.  In Germany this is a coffee shop where one can buy fresh coffee beans - they have expanded to all sorts of other goods too... and are now overseas!
Bamsa's family is wonderful! (Walid (husband), Khaled & Ahmed (boys)) I am integrated into the family very quickly - I become the boys' teacher aid (can't do maths - need a calculator to check their homework... ha ha), and Khaled, the elder son is my interpreter (Arabic to English) - he tells everyone: English please!  We have a lot of fun - the boys are gourgeous!

Basma and I go for sheisha at Tche Tche's Cafe every night - it's down the road, 5 minutes walk; and we are VIP customers now!  We sit and smoke and chat and relax and catch up on each others news.... a very pleasant ending to each day.

Tche Tche Cafe - JBR, P.O.Box 31040,Plaza Level,Sadaf Tower4



On Thursday, we decide to have a girls morning out - we catch up with Gabija and Rima for breakfast.  The four of us used to work together and we have stayed close friends over the years.  It is so nice to see everyone again!

The Beach!
 JBR view from the beach


 Inside the development: Dubai Marina
I am moving today:  Basma's sister is coming to visit for Eid and I will move to Rima's place for the next week.... am being lovingly passed around and shared!

Rima's daughter (Aeysha) made me a nice welcome present - she is very sweet, so is her son (Daniel).  And the dog welcomed be back too - he is geourgeous!  We spent a lazy day together on Friday, and Peter (husband) made a yummie BBQ in the evening!  Very pleasant indeed.....

Tommy the dog:
I am so very lucky to have all these wonderful friends, who put me up and include me in their lives!  I can't thank them enough!

I have decided to extend my holiday in Dubai - am feeling relaxed and enjoying the company, and the weather.... so why leave?!

S & D

No comments:

Post a Comment