Saturday 11 February 2012

A few insights .....

For me it is always interesting to go back to Germany... I don't have a connection any more with being 'German'.... whatever that means.  Most things are alien to me and I don't really fit in. I've lived abroad more years than I lived in Germany.... and am used to another lifestyle.  Also by nature I am more easy going and don't fit into any box!  I could never live in Germany again.  Also, my German is rusty...

  • Germans are very environmentally conscious and have a lot of ecco technologies i.e. windmills, solar panels etc.
  • Men are still old school and are gentlemen... mostly... not all of course!
  • They are into the latest gadgets, developments, foods, bikes, materials - at the forefront of technology...
  • People are generally friendly, but not very worldly...
  • However, service sucks - you go into a shop and the staff chat among themselves and you almost feel like you are intruding on them.. On the other hand,  there are a lot of Polish people working in the service industry... they are very polite, friendly and professional!
  • The young generation is quite spoiled - but quite socially & environmental orientated ie. charity work and studies
  • Online shopping is very popular among the younger generation, whereas the older generation still lives on cash payments only.
  • However, at work it seems to be wide spread that people experience 'burnout' and 'mopping' 
  • The government scraped the compulsory military service - and instead implemented a social year instead - I think it is a good thing.
These are just my own impressions from my time spent there....

And I have to share a 'blonde' moment with you - Margaret will appreciate this - (just shows the state of mind I was in... and still am to a certain extend):  When I packed up to start my travels... I found some currencies I still had from previous travels....I was very happy about that - as I had found some French Francs and Spanish Pesetas - great I can use them when I travel in Europe..... It only occured to me when I re-packed in Dubai to visit Germany - oh, wasn't there something like the EU now and a common currency called Euro?  Daaaa....

Do you know how heavy these coins were I took with me????  I could have packed something useful and still current!  You can laugh - I don't mind....

Auf Wiedersehen.

S & D & L




No comments:

Post a Comment