Saturday 11 February 2012

Germany - Farewell....it's too cold....

Well I survived 1 week in the German 'cold spell'.  It was consistent -17 (plus/minus a few degrees) and sunny.  Even though I have boots and a warm coat... the cold gets through everything.  I am wearing at least 3 layers of everything and still I am frozen.

The joke is that Canada is having a 'warm spell' it's only around 0 and -5C or so... well, couldn't have planned this any better....

When my mom says to me on Sunday (my first day back from Spain): Lets go for a walk.... My response:  Are you crazy?  I am not going out there in the cold.....I am staying close to the heater!

My body is trying to adjust to the colder climate etc....and getting over the travelling... I am not feeling too well and start taking my vitamins again!  Don't want to get sick.

Sunday: I am having a quiet day... sleeping in and just resting.

Monday - I am invited to my dear friend Anita's house for breakfast.... most of the other ladies of the group can make it too.... so it is a nice reunion again.  Christine is there too this time, she doesn't know I am here and we have not seen each other in about 8 years or so... scary...We have a lovely morning, eating, talking and laughing and exchanging stories.







Anita and I drive to Juliane's place in the afternoon for a cup of coffee and a quick catch up, as she wasn't able to make it for breakfast.

Tuesday: not feeling too well - staying home and blogging....enjoying the scenery outside.




Wednesday:  Mom and I are walking into town - I must be mad!  Did I tell you - it is FREEZING- -17C!


 This is the catamaran which runs between Friedrichshafen and Constance.. however, it is too cold, part of the harbours are frozen... so is the catamaran itself... I think it's funny.....





 I look positively pathetic....

 The fish pond in my parent's garden... frozen solid... my poor fish!




Thursday:  I catch up with Ulrike and her son Adrian for coffee at her place... Again, I walk - crazy me....We have a nice chat... as always time is too short - and who knows when we will see each other again... But it is nice to have friends where time doesn't matter - the connection and friendship is always there!!





I had found an Indian Restaurant in town and convinced Michael to go out with me and try it..... my parents are not too keen on 'foreign' food...but we convinced my dad to come with us - very adventurous of him!  We are proud of him!  Mom has other commitments and is not coming.

The place is nice - very Indian....  the waiter is a pain in the backside - actually a bit of an idiot... however, the food is very nice, so is the Indian chai....  Even my dad likes the food.  We have a very pleasant dinner together.  And it is snowing outside!
















Friday:  Another lazy day in the warmth of the home, close to the heater!  My friend Elke convinced me to walk with her to her apartment that evening and to have dinner with her.  The dinner part is fine - the walking part.... I am mad!  Elke of course is prepared - special clothing for wind & cold & wet protection -me in my pathetic coat and boots..... the walk takes 1/2hour - and I can't feel my hands nor feet.... However, I survive it.... to be honest - the air is very crisp, which I love!

We order in pizza and salad and have a very pleasant evening.  It is so rewarding to spend quality time with family and friends and to connect on a deep level!

Thank goodness Elke drives me home... that was the deal!  She just laughs at me....

On Saturday my dad takes us out to lunch - for the last time.  It is my last day with my parents - onwards I must go (fly) .... to Dubai....

We have lunch at 12.00p.m. - far too early for Michael and me - we'll have breakfast instead. So everyone is happy.

Ah, how time flies..... my time in Europe has come to an end... I had planned to go to London, but decided it is too cold.... also my money is rapidly running out...

Would love to go to Turkey - or do a trip through the Mediterranean- and see more of Eastern Europe incl. Russia....  but....  Inshallah I will have another chance some time in the future.

Also, I was supposed to catch up with Lynette (friend from Sydney) in Greece in July... but Greece is having a lot of financial and political problems right now... so probably not a good time to visit anyway.  The whole of Europe (EU) is in trouble...  Spain has 40% unemployment... Greece has a mountain of debt, Italy has problems... the only stable countries are Germany (on top- of course) and France....  Interesting times!

So for now.... I have decided to go back to Dubai.... and yes will try and find a job and stay for a bit.  Am not ready yet to go back to Australia....  something tells me to stay in the Middle East for now.

I am following my 'inner voice'... and take one day and one step at the time....

Al Hamdullilah.

S & D & L


2 comments:

  1. Hi Sabine,
    Loving the new look of your blog.Always, always love reading about your adventures and amazing pictures! Yes, you must follow your intuition.
    Lilly xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lilly

    It is so nice to know you are out there and following me... it's almost like you are with me!

    How are you doing my dear? Miss you!

    Sabine

    ReplyDelete