Sunday 11 March 2012

Dubai: Week 4

I slept in on Monday, called my parents to make sure everything is ok.... and yes, my dad is doing ok - Hamdullilah!

I have lunch with Basma who is now also sick - she has a chest infection.... this must have been from the sandstorm on Friday, lots of bugs in the air..... so no sheisha for either of us for a while!

On Tuesday, I go for my interview.... the offices are in the middle of the desert... the General Manager, a lady, is a bit strange.... so am not sure about this.... will see....

I meet up with Janine and Andy for dinner.  Their little girl Holly is so sweet ...she is 1 year old now... so cute.  We have a good catch up and talk.  And remember Hisham and the good old days!

Wednesday I meet up with the HR manager of MSF - Medicine Sans Frontiers, my favourite charity.  I had applied for a job, which was based in Abu Dhabi, but then decided I did not want to move there, but asked her for any volunteer work.  So we met in their Dubai office and had a good chat.  And she recruited me to help her set up their Volunteer Program for office and events volunteers.... I am excited, this is what I like doing!  We agree on a work schedule and time frame and off I go.

On Thursday afternoon I get the call from the agency saying I got the job.  I did not want to answer the phone at first, as I am very reluctant of taking the job.  Have a bad feeling. However, I have no other offer or options right now.  So I agree... after discussing my airline ticket and medical, not a good sign to already having to fight for things. But....  We agree I will start on 1 April but have 2 training days next week.

Now I can plan and arrange my visit to Sudan - quickly, as I want to go for at least 2 weeks!  I call Walid to make sure I can come and then book my airline tickets... this time I will be flying Fly Dubai (a low cost airline, which belongs to Emirates).  I want to keep my Skyward points for another time.

Friday I catch up with Rima for a coffee.  She is also job hunting... then I have to go clothes shopping... I have absolutely nothing to wear for work!  Oh dear.... and I need a few things for Sudan.

I have lunch with Basma and her family.... I feel looked after....have my wonderful friends and their families...I feel safe!

On Saturday, I have to return my hire car... and then will pick up Janine's car.  They are going for a week's holiday to the UK and she has kindly offered to give me her car.  What wonderful friends I have!  So I drop off the hire car at Media City, from there I can walk to Janine's place - it's across the road from the metro station.  Then we drive to the airport, they leave and I drive their car.  Hurray!

Sheikh Zayed Road - metro crossing









I catch up with Rima and the kids, they do wall climbing.... looks a bit scary to me, but they kids love it.  Rima and I have a coffee and a chat while the kids climb....





What an exciting week... it's all happening.  It feels right for me to stay, everything is falling into place, friends, home, job,....and lots of sheishas!!!!

S & D & L

No comments:

Post a Comment