Friday 30 March 2012

Farewell Khartoum - Hello Dubai

My flight is at 11.20 am.... I am packing and weighing... all the food I am taking with me:
fresh frozen fish, white cheese, dates, kerkede, grapefruit, sweets, etc. and all the souvenirs I bought.... According to the scales I have 29kgs....but not sure how accurate these scales are....

I am sad to leave Khartoum and to leave Mahassin and the family.... I love it here.. Khartoum is full of life despite or rather in spite of the poverty and struggle... I want to come back!

Things are difficult for people in Sudan, basic foodstuffs are getting expensive - sometimes prices vary from one day to the next - Mahassin was looking for yoghurt, but the shops didn't stocked it any more, as it doubled in price overnight.  But on the other hand there is construction and projects happening....progress...only time will tell.

Ah yes, construction here is interesting - Sudani style:  I was thinking of my sister and her house building exercise.... the Germans would be 'impressed'...














Walid and Mahassin take me to the airport.  Salma, Souad and Ahsan call to say good-bye. It is difficult to leave.

My luggage makes the weight check 28.6kgs - wow - Flydubai are being very strict with weight, as any no-frills airline - this is how they make their money.  Next time I buy 50ks worth of weight... so I can do all my shopping!!!

The plane is full, I am again the only khawaja on the flight....it is a good and uneventful flight, I sleep - am not even hungry - brought some food (ha ha)...but just sleep.

We land at 4.30 pm at Terminal 2 - it is not busy and the luggage comes through quickly. I go to the Dollar car hire desk to pick up my car hire. And for the first time it all goes well!  I get a new Yarris - love it!

I call Basma on my way home to arrange our evening out for sheisha... have my priorities right!

I am a bit sad my trip is over... this was the last leg of my year off! I made it actually to 9 months of travelling. I am now officially broke and out of money and need to start working and earning my keep again.  Learning to live on my own and to make it on my own (well with the help of my wonderful and dear friends and families!  - without them I could NOT make it!)  and Hisham is still there for me - in spirit! Bless his soul.

Lots of love to everyone! From the Khawaja wearing the thoab.....








Sabine, Dougal, Lionheart


No comments:

Post a Comment