Tuesday 27 March 2012

Trip to Jebel Auliah

Today we are going on a big trip: By Amjad to Jebel Aulia, about 50 kms out of Khartoum



The Jebel Aulia Dam is a dam on the White Nile near Khartoum.

Following completion of his work on the Sennar Dam, civil engineer John Watson Gibson entered into partnership in 1933 with Pauling & Co. forming Gibson and Pauling (Foreign) Ltd. in 1933 to build the dam, the largest dam in the world at that time. On the successful completion of the dam in 1937, Gibson became managing director of Pauling & Co., a position he held until his death in March 1947.

In 2003, a hydro-electric project was completed on the dam, adding a 30 megawatt maximum capacity. As a result, the site became a site of significant national importance, and is now continually guarded by the Sudan People's Armed Forces.




Souad, Mahassin, Sumeya and her daughter Oumnia and myself squeezed into the amjad (no air-conditioning remember...)  we have a different driver today, as ours was busy.  But he is taking us all the way to Jebel Aulia....  It was an interesting road trip, which took us maybe 1.5 - 2 hours I think.... finally I see some of the countryside....

Getting out of Khartoum across the Nile







Love the doors!





We stopped at this typical shop for some water...I am always worried about going to the toilet, because there are none... so I usually suffer- don't eat or drink....I really don't know how the ladies here do it, they never seem to have to go to the bathroom at all.... me, on the other hand, I always have some digestive issues and need to be careful and plan....  what a pain....


These are typical beds, people often sleep on them outside in the courtyard due to the heat... I want one!!!


Now here is the 'sports version' of a rickshaw!  Well, we are in the countryside.... racey....



I am wondering... are we here... is this the Jebel??? (mountain)


Yes, we have arrived.... hurray, what a beautiful site....




We drive onto the dam and stop... I need to get out!  I was sitting at the very back - squeezed - and my back is killing me.... First there is some guffufel, no we can't get out... security... but I HAVE to get out. So I do.... We all get out and take pictures.  Then the driver takes Mahassin across the dam onto the island, while the rest of us walk across... it is an amazingly beautiful place here.....








Fishermen everywhere getting todays catch....


Bird life gallore....












Mahassin got worried about us and sent the driver to come looking for us... she is very funny!

Goats... you know how excited I get about the 'wildlife'.... hi hi



And yes, rubbish everywhere.... sad really, but this is how it is. The island is a great picnic area, but Sudanese don't much care about tourism or beautification, so things are left 'natural'..... on one hand this is great on the other - it is left dirty - and there are no facilities!  Mushkella for me....But I am enjoying myself tremendeously!








Ah, here is our driver!

Add caption

There are fish stalls around the place and bunna ladies... there are chairs and tables.  We brought tea/coffee, falafel, bread etc... but the fish here is famous, so we get a plate full, fresh from the Nile!  Very yummie indeed!  Yes I am eating!


After the meal we settle for tea and coffee, however, turns out that Najeeb forgot to put coffee into the coffee thermus - we have hot water!- Thank goodness for the bunna ladies, we buy delicious Sudani coffee from her! and have home-made legmiate with that... Ah life is good!

After we ate and relaxed, we go for a little stroll, and decide to take a boat ride onto the Nile!




A crab!








No it's not Venice... it's beautiful Sudan!



And after a restful pause, we drive off again .....








We stop at this beautiful resthouse.... THANK YOU!  I can use a toilet here... safed!  Nobody else goes... I don't know - how do they do it?  Aparently you can rent the house and stay for a weekend or so....maybe next time...



On the road again, through villages back to Khartoum....And this time - I am sitting up front with the driver, no more squeezing... also I need to take photos!  That's my excuse anyway... I am enjoying the front seat!

















And back to civilization!  Traffic and people...buzzing places....

No, this is NOT a traffic jam.. believe it or not... this is NORMAL!  Just lots of cars, trying to get through an intersection... Best to close your eyes and go.....










Back in Khartoum we stop at Bukhari's workshop and office - he was kind enough to install a watercooler in Hisham's memory..... God bless his soul and everyone who drinks from the cooler and says a little prayer!



We leave Souad at Bukhari's place and our driver takes us home....



Ah, the 'Goethe Institute' ... the Germans are everywhere....







A suq area....next time...

And the all important bridal shops!



This is the entrance to our residential area....



This is our local corner shop....
What an amazing and full day....Hamdullilah... I think we all enjoyed it. But it is exhausting because of the heat.  So I think we are all happy to be back home and to relax.

Thank you everyone for an amazing day out!

Sabine, Dougal, Lionheart


No comments:

Post a Comment