Thursday 22 March 2012

Khartoum - Day 6

Today we are venturing to Omdurman - the oldest part of Khartoum - that's where the suq is.... we are off to some serious shopping and bargaining....

Souad knows all the places - she picks usup in the morning, a friend of her daughter's is kind enough to drive us today.... and off to Omdurman Suq!

It is a huge place, teaming with life and people.... little alleyways.  Difficult for poor Mahassin to get around, but she is determined!

I see a lot of beautiful things I want to buy... but have to consider - yet again - money and luggage weight.  They have beautiful leather handbags and sandals (all made of snake skins), great souvenirs and handicrafts.....  and I love the baskets!  but can only buy a small one...







The car is parked too far to walk in another part of the suq, but it is too far for Mahassin to walk, so we venture there in a rikshaw... lots of fun!








Then we drive to Mahdi's tomb area.

In 1884, Muḥammad Aḥmad, "the Mahdi", made his military headquarters in the village of Omdurman. The conflicts that followed over the next fifteen years have become known as the Mahdist War. Following the defeat of the besieged defenders of Khartoum in 1885, the Mahdi's successor, Khalifa ʻAbdullahi ibn Muḥammad, made Omdurman his capital.  The city, now the location of the tomb of the Mahdi, grew rapidly.
 Map of Ohmdurman with Khartoum and Bahri 




 There are street stalls all selling special sweets.... of course I have to buy some!  We go to one seller and buy quite a lot of different once - I have to try them all of course.

Wherever we go, everyone is curious about me - the white khawaja wearing the thoab - .... who is she?










 Drive back along the Nile;  there is lots of farming happening along the Nile - it is vertile land here (a bit like in Cairo).







 The butcher shops.... fresh meat!!!

Writing my journal I realize how much we actually did every day.  I am loving it.  Everybody is so nice, hospitable and looking after me - making sure I am happy.  THANK YOU!!!!

Mahassin and I spend the evening at home, sitting and talking and relaxing.

Sabine, Dougal, Lionheart




No comments:

Post a Comment