Friday 9 September 2011

Exploring some of the ethnic suburbs of Toronto

Another lovely day, and out I go exploring again.. this time I wonder around some of the ethnic suburbs of downtown Toronto...today I manage to walk about 8kms with an Italian Gelato break in between....I needed to sit down at some point and that gelato was sooo yummie....

Chinatown  is an ethnic enclave in Downtown Toronto, with a high concentration of ethnic Chinese residents and businesses. First developed in the late 19th century, it is now one of the largest Chinatowns in North America and one of several major Chinese-Canadian communities in the Greater Toronto Area.

It's a very vibrant area with lots of bargain stores and fruit and vegetable stores.  I had to have my red bean bun, which I love!











Kensington Market is a distinctive multicultural neighbourhood in Downtown Toronto. It is an older neighbourhood and one of the city's most well-known. In 2006, it was designated a National Historic Site of Canada.  Most of the neighbourhood has eclectic shops and cafes. Today the neighbourhood is a noted tourist attraction, and a centre of Toronto's cultural life as artists and writers moved into the area.

This market is amazing, it has a great vibe and is very busy... it runs through a few streets and has a very distinct Hippie meets Rastafarian mix with marijuana flavour .....interesting....





Not sure what this fire department is on... mousse on the roof...


Feeling a bit nauseous from the very heavy scented air (marijuana smoking people in the park), I wonder on to the next suburb...

Little Portugal is a neighbourhood and ethnic enclave in Toronto. It is located west of downtown in the "Old" City of Toronto. The area is mainly residential, with Portuguese some businesses.

Other than the street sign, Little Portugal was not happening and didn't really exist - unfortunately, as I was looking forward to eating some yummie churros... wasn't meant to be...


Quite an eclectic collection of coffee machines...



So I moved on to Little Italy. It is well known for its numerous Italian restaurants and businesses.  The district is centred around a restaurant/bar/shopping strip and adjacent residential area,
Italians arrived in Toronto in large numbers during the early 20th century.  The affordable Edwardian homes that line the side streets of this neighbourhood were bought by Italian immigrants, many of whom found work on the railways and in road construction.

The houses - or rather - mansions are huge and beautiful.... I want to move here!!!! Very happening place - and ...



Isn't this so typical Mediterranian style - swans and all...






finally I got a break and yummie gelato... feeling much much better now and ready to move onto the next area.

Koreatown is also known as "Little Korea". It came into prominence when the Korean soccer team surprised everyone by playing into the semi-final round in the 2002 World Cup tournament. Traffic came to a halt as exuberant crowds celebrated the accomplishments of their favourite team.
The adoption of a more liberal immigration policy by the Canadian government in 1967 led to an influx of Korean immigrants. Restaurants, bakeries, gift shops, grocery stores, and travel agencies began to open up, most of which catered to the Korean-Canadian community. Today, although many Koreans work in the region, very few Koreans actually live in Koreatown.

A very fun area and very busy and buzzing.  Lots of young people around.  I enjoyed soaking in the atmosphere...




'Honest Eds' This was the most hugemongous shop I've ever seen....


I know Michael has asked me to buy some sheisha tobacco.... I wonder.....which flavour....mmhhh

It was getting late and I still had to walk a fair distance to Sarah's office - I did not want to miss my lift home.... so off I marched....

There are the most amazing buildings in this town - also, the contrast between old and new architecture is fantastic....






I reached Sarah's office with 5 minutes to spare and just collapsed... but Sarah refused to carry me down to the car.... oh well...it hurts...

S & D

No comments:

Post a Comment