Wednesday 28 September 2011

God works in mysterious ways.... Ottawa

I've been relaxing, having lazy days, going for my walks, and relaxing....in other words, got used to a very slow pace. 

As my time in Toronto is soon coming to an end, I started thinking of the next legs of my journey... also, about Sudan - had not managed yet to obtain a visa.  Huda was trying through a contact at the Embassy and Walid was trying in Sudan - but no success yet.  So I prayed and put the matter in God's hands - Inshallah!

On Tuesday, I came home from my walk and had several voicemail messages from Huda and Sarah - I got really worried, thinking something bad has happened.  Turned out - Huda had been able to talk to her contact at the Sudanese Embassy in Ottawa, who said it would probably be possible to get me a visa.  However, I am leaving in 5 days.... how can we do this in time and get my passport back?

So I decided to take a train trip to Ottawa and present myself at the Embassy!  Oh my God... quick... lots to organize... I had to cranck up the gears quick and fast....

God works in mysterious ways!  and he does answer prayers... we don't always get the answer we want, but we do get an answer!  Hamdullilah!

So I booked my train ticket, got all the paperwork together, packed an overnight bag - just in case, checked out some possible hostels I could stay at.... the girls wrote me a letter of introduction.... I was ready and excited and thankful!

I had to get up at 4.30 a.m. to catch the first bus and first subway to the train station downtown. My train left at 6.50a.m. - it takes 4.5 hours on the train to Ottawa.  I made it ok on to the train... very comfortable, I had two seats to myself all the way... there was a coffee cart too... so I was fine!  The train had wifi and plugs... however, I did not have my laptop with me... I slept most of the way of course.














I arrived safely and took a taxi to the Sudanese Embassy (nervous.....).  Huda's contact is a very nice young man, - he knows the Bukhari family, and helped the girls last year to obtain a visa to attend Hisham's funeral - he took all my papers and money, sat me in the waiting room and served me a hot cup of tea....


Half an hour later.... he came back with my visa (jumping up with joy....in my mind...).  And ... I am progressing... first visa I got was for 2 weeks, second visa I got was for 1 month, this one is for 2 months....

THANK YOU!!!!

Now what do I do... do I stay in Ottawa or go back to Toronto?  Seeing I am paying a fortune for these train tickets, and I can't face another 4.5 hours on the train, why don't I stay the night and be a tourist?!  I walk towards town and go into a hotel to ask for a map and directions.  They were very friendly and obliged with the info I needed. I think there are a few nice things in Ottawa to see and explore (even though it is drizzling ....) - even though everybody told me: there is nothing in Ottawa, it is boring... just a capital....  How wrong were they???

I am hungry, I need to sit and plan my stay.  Oh what do I see - this one is for you Becky!!! A Pita Pit place. Becky recommend this place and so far I had not found it anywhere - so I have to try it... They have very nice shwarma - I had falafel, very nice...



Next stop.... find the hostel and a bed for the night.  The hostel is downtown and they have a bed for me in an 8-bed female dorm with 2 bathrooms on the floor to share.... this will be interesting. I am looking at this experience as a trial run for New York....












































All this sorted, I venture out to explore Ottawa......

S & D

No comments:

Post a Comment