Thursday 22 September 2011

A trip to the India Bazaar

I had a bit of a sleep-in today... and why not?!  But decided I needed to get out of the house, as it was a nice day.... so I left around midday to venture to the India Bazaar....

Gerrard India Bazaar is the largest marketing place of South Asian goods and services. With over 100 shops and restaurants which represent regional diversities of South Asian culture, food, music and products, this slice of the Indian subcontinent offers a wide selection of services and products exhibited in an exotic display of sights, sounds, tastes and aromas. The array of merchandise available here helps South Asians maintain ancient cultural and religious traditions, and keep in touch with the contemporary lifestyle of the Subcontinent.
As the area is too far to walk from down-town (it is off my tourist map) I took the streetcar - I had it all figured out...where to get on and where to get off.  However, the driver announced that the bridge was closed and we were going a different way.  There is me sitting there thinking: don't panic...it's fine... he has to get back to the original route at some point.... just stay put!  Then a few stops later, the driver announced: this streetcar is not going to the original destination, you need to take two streetcars behind this one...Now I panicked....

A lot of people got off, so I just followed the crowd.  I remembered that Huda & Sarah said that India Bazaar was very obvious to spot.... so I changed streetcars and hoped for the best... worst case scenario, I had a nice ride..... and will just turn back.

We got back on track, but no sign of India, instead we ended up in Vietnam... where is India?  Has Vietnam taken over????  But then I spotted a few Indians on the road... there was hope... and yes, finally we reached India Bazaar - great and colourful shops .. and of course I had to get some Indian sweets, just can't help myself.

So in the end I had a nice day out and also made it back into town ok....to catch up with Sarah for dinner.

Vietnam - Chinese star signs at the car park... quaint...

This is not India!!!???



Aaahh.... here we are - finally made it!



 I wasn't game trying that cuisine....




Now... back downtown...for dinner....

S&D





No comments:

Post a Comment