Saturday 8 October 2011

Farewell New York - Day 5

My last day in New York .... I check out, leave my luggage at the hostel and go for my last coffee and bagel...  I have time til 2pm - then I'll have to take a taxi to the Greyhound station - my bus leaves at 4.oo p.m.  So plenty of time to explore a bit more.

I decide to venture to Little Italy - I found out where it was - amongst China Town, hidden away and almost taken over by the Chinese....There are lots of Italian restaurants and delis, which are very busy at lunchtime.

Little Italy is a neighborhood in lower Manhattan, once known for its large population of Italians. Today the neighborhood of Little Italy consists of Italian stores and restaurants. Much of the neighborhood has been absorbed and engulfed by Chinatown, as immigrants from China moved to the area. What was once Little Italy has essentially shrunk into a single street which serves as a restaurant area but which has few Italian residents.







I keep walking and end up below the Brooklyn Bridge at the water.  I sit and relax for a bit.  As it happened to me throughout my stay here - people keep coming up to me asking for directions, advice on tour buses and to have their photos taken... I think I have a big sign on my forehead saying: information!!!  Or I look like a local... don't know whether that's a compliment.....??

I walk through this park full of Chinese - there was some music and stuff happening...
 I thought it was such a funny image to see these men sitting there reading their papers...it's a tough life!
 And... there are squirrels too in New York....



The Brooklyn Bridge is one of the oldest suspension bridges in the United States. Completed in 1883, it connects the New York City boroughs of Manhattan and Brooklyn by spanning the East River. With a main span of 1,595.5 feet (486.3 m), it was the longest suspension bridge in the world from its opening until 1903, and the first steel-wire suspension bridge.
At various times, the bridge has carried horse-drawn and trolley traffic; at present, it has six lanes for motor vehicles, with a separate walkway along the centerline for pedestrians and bicycles. Due to the roadway's height (11 ft (3.4 m) posted) and weight (6,000 lb (2,700 kg) posted) restrictions, commercial vehicles and buses are prohibited from using this bridge.
 


While I sit there, suddenly these roller skaters keep coming - loads of them....there must be some event / outing of some sort... fun....

 It's time to walk back... I see a nice Italian deli and get myself a yummie and huge cheese sandwich for the road... as I am travelling for 12 hours overnight, I stock up on water and food.....


PS: A couple of things I forgot to tell.... the way they dispose of rubbish in New York is: dump the bags on the street.... Not unlike Dubai where the rubbish is dumped in open containers in the streets...




PPS: Initially I wanted to go to a Broadway show... but it is all so 'cheap' for a one of a better word. Lots of lights, people, and guys trying to sell you tickets in the street.... I imagined it all to be more grand and glamerous..... So I'll pass....

I collect my luggage from the hostel and call a taxi to the Greyhound station...

My next journey begins.....

S & D

No comments:

Post a Comment