Thursday 20 October 2011

Long weekend in the South - Savannah, Georgia

We are going to the South and to warmer climates!!!!

I made Michael promise to take me to Savannah, Georgia and Charlestone, SC (he lived there a few years ago).  To make the most of the trip, we leave on Thursday afternoon for Savannah.  We have the Kia 4x4 from one of his colleagues, so we are very comfortable.  And.. I get to drive most of the way, as poor Michael is tired from work.

147 miles = 2.44hours drive


It is a nice drive through a beautiful countryside.














I had booked a motel online for us - Days Inn -, and we arrive about 6.00p.m.  We check in, have a coffee and put on some warm clothes as it is quite chilly outside. The motel is clean, but very basic... and again, plastic is fantastic!!!


The Kia...


The weather was far too cold to go for a swim... pitty...


Michael thought this was a good program for me .... to learn... ha ha
We drive into town, maybe a 15 minutes drive, have a wonder around the old part of town and along the river.  It is a very lovely city - I like it already!  It is totally touristy, but has flair!  Can't wait for tomorrow to see everything in daylight....




 Elvis has left the building.. and is driving his car...
 I had to wear my warm jacket I bought in New York.... so much for the warm South!!!

 The Americans take their Halloween extremely serious.... all over the country you find pumpkins and more pumpkins.... and zombies....and houses and gardens are decorated to the tilt....weeks before the actual day....

 No it's not your vision going blurrie... it's my camera, doesn't take good pictures at night - or was it I don't have a steady hand...???  And yes it is Merilyn Monroe!


We decided to have dinner at the 'Outback Steakhouse' an Australianized American restaurant chain.  I felt like having a 'lime bitters and lemon' drink, so Michael and I had a bet whether these Americans could do it or would even know what it is... and to our surprise, the waitress said, no problem.  Wow... however, there were more bitters than anything in the drink and the refill was just plain water and bitters....bartender forgot???? but hey... at least they tried!!!!  The food was good and the place did have a somewhat Australian theme to it. And no... they didnt' serve kangaroo or crocodile.....






After dinner we drove back to the motel for a good nights sleep - ready for some serious sightseeing the next day.

S. & D.

No comments:

Post a Comment