Tuesday 4 October 2011

New York - Day 1

I am in New York!!! Wow.... I made it! 

File:26 - New York - Octobre 2008.jpg

New York exerts a significant impact upon global commerce, finance, media, art, fashion, research, technology, education, and entertainment. The home of the United Nations Headquarters,  New York is an important center for international affairs and is widely deemed the cultural capital of the world. The city is also referred to as New York City, The Big Apple, or the City of New York to distinguish it from the state of New York, of which it is a part.

Located on one of the world's largest natural harbors, New York City consists of five boroughs: The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island.  The population of 8.175 million distributed over a land area of just 305 square miles (790 km2), New York is the most densely populated major city in the United States. As many as 800 languages are spoken in New York, making it the most linguistically diverse city in the world.

OK - I have a full 4 day programme... so I get up early, queue up for the shower and off I go.  I thought the weather would be nice and warm, so I am wearing my summer clothes.  I get outside and it's a bit chilly, but okish...

Next door to the Hostel is a Deli - this is where I get my coffee, juice and a croissant for breakfast.  Unfortunately, there are no benches outside, so I eat and drink at the street corner.  Sad... I know....
On my way to the subway station, I discover a nice cafe - I will try that tomorrow!  The subway station is a couple of blocks away - 5 minutes walk.  By chance I go into the right subway entry - as I discover, the subway system is not as straight forward as it seems....






I am on my way to the Grayline Bustour company - I booked 72 hours hop on and off bus tours plus 3x entries to sights. I thought this way, I get a feel for New York and can then venture out on my own for a couple of days.

I have my maps, manage to buy a subway ticket and get on the correct train.  The lady behind the counter told me when and where to change trains etc... So I am trying to retain this information, remember it and make sense of it.  I actually find the place - yeahh...You have to be awake, switched on and paying attention in order to get around New York! People are not helpful here at all!

At the Gray-line office, I get my tickets and bus tour map and hop on the Express tourbus downtown to Battery Park, where I will catch the Brooklyn tour. 

I love the buildings and architecture and the outside stairs, which are fire escapes....






We pass the World Trade Centre Site - which is still a construction site and a memorial.  They are making a big fuss about it still - after 10 years!  I feel for the people who lost loved ones, I know what it's like!  But people are dying every day somewhere on this earth as casualties of war and fighting - often where the West is involved in the killing - are we having memorials for all those people????  Of course not - only if they are Americans!!!


Reaching Battery Park....
 




I have a little bit of time and wonder around the Park, which has a view of the Statue of Liberty - nice!




I get on the Brooklyn tour bus - it's a double decker bus (they all are) - I sit upstairs - and I am freezing... it is windy and cold - by the end of the 2 hour tour I am totally frozen....  I need a warm jacket!!!!

Brooklyn is the most populous of New York City's five boroughs, with nearly 2.6 million residents,and the second-largest in area. Brooklyn was an independent city until its consolidation with New York City in 1898, and continues to maintain a distinct culture, independent art scene, and unique architectural heritage. Many Brooklyn neighborhoods are ethnic enclaves where particular ethnic groups and cultures predominate.

The tour is great - the tour guide tries to be funny, but I am too cold to appreciate the humour..... and they all want tips at the end of the tour....

One interesting bit was that there is a Muslim community in Brooklyn - and the mosque is allowed to call for prayers - which actullay happened while we were there - the Azan went off.... amazing considering how Islam-phobic the States are....












 The Manhatten Bridge is a double decker bridge and the bus was on the top - quite scary feeling... (I don't like heights....)

The Manhattan Bridge is a suspension bridge that crosses the East River in New York City, connecting Lower Manhattan (at Canal Street) with Brooklyn. It was the last of the three suspension bridges built across the lower East River. It has four vehicle lanes on the upper level (split between two roadways). The lower level has three lanes, four subway tracks, a walkway and a bikeway.



The tour took us back to Battery Park and I took a walk along the waterfront to Pier 17 - there are shops and restaurants.  I had lunch there and enjoyed the view.  And... I found a warm jacket for $10 - now I am happy!!!!  and ready for the next bus tour....Then I walked back to the hostel - consulting my map and relying on my navigational skills!!!






I took a short break changed my clothes to lots of layers and the new jacket!!! and then decided - crazy me - to walk to Time Square for the 'Night Tour'.  It was an interesting walk but took me a good hour.  New York streets are buzzing with people and life - there are little parks and patches where people sit and relax in the middle of the huzzle und buzzle... quite an amazing place!  Time Square is another buzzing place = full of lights and people - amazing.







 Wrapped up very warm - I took my seat on top of the Night Tourbus and off we went on our route....  Traffic is a killer in New York...amazing!  Again, the tour guide tried to be funny to get the tips at the end of the tour - I just don't get it and don't appreciate it.... but that's me! I am tired now...





The bus stopped somewhere - it is late, I am exhausted, and I can't find the subway station... I was about to ask some policemen, and then there right in front of me a huge sign saying Subway!  daaaa....I am tired...

Finally, I am back in my cell!  I decide to have a shower in the evenings,  the bathroom is clean and no queues, and I can sleep in a little longer!  Not just a pretty face... hi hi

Sweet dreams... not really it is just too noisy here....and cold....

S & D

No comments:

Post a Comment